Sunday, March 2, 2008

Seed Starting Guides

Friday morning was beautiful. The sun was shining and the snow had melted (mostly). Friday afternoon came and left us with another inch and a half of snow. What gives? I think I am getting a bit ahead of myself. It is barely March and I want to put in all my vegetables...now let's see what I can do. This is where a seed starting guide comes in handy. I have found two different ones on http://www.yougrowgirl.com that are helpful. Neither of them have everything I want to plant, but both of them have most. First one is a print-it-out and fill-it-in, using your calendar. Second is a type-in-a-date and it fills out for you (needs to be downloaded). These are weekly guides for starting seeds indoors or out and when they can safely be transplanted to your garden. For both, you will need to know your frost free date. Here in zone 5, northern Utah, it is May 8, with a 156 day season(before the first frost in fall).
Once I've done all my date-making, I have a weekly list of the veggies I can plant and--hooray--it's time for starting my peas indoors! Okay, I admit, I put them in 10 days ago.

1 comment:

XO said...

Which makes me wonder - how long is our growing season? Will the heat kill everything? Am I already too late? Oh the shame. I wanted to try maybe at least a little indoor herb garden to get started - I'm not rid of weeds and rocks enough to do anything extravagant.

(you don't have to answer my questions if you don't want to - that's just me talking out loud - I'm glad you gave info for websites to go to - I'll definitely check them out)