Friday, March 14, 2008

Seed Obsession

I ordered seeds from catalogs this year for the first time. I had two good reasons: there were more types to choose from, and they sent me $25 coupons. I ordered from Gurney's, Henry Field's and Burpee. It seems to me (after extensive studying of catalogs) that Gurney's and Henry Fields are either secretly the same company, or they share their pictures and prices which are exactly the same. Burpee is more of a flowers site, but has some veggies, too. I gazed at the pages longingly for quite some time before I made my informed and overzealous decisions. Then, I called my sister to share in the fun. This turned out nicely because there was no way I could plant 180 sets of onions by myself, but I couldn't choose between red, yellow and white, and had to get them all.
The seeds come in lovely white envelopes with instructions and info, but no picture, so I cut the pics out of the catalogs and tape them to the envelope as shown.
Next, I slip the seeds/envelope into a snack size zipper bag and label the top edge. I place my bags in a kid's shoe box and now I have a lovely "file folder" for seeds!
As you can see, my collection is large and happy and I have only tried planting half of them. Some are four years old, but grow nicely every year, and some (like brussel sprouts) I may never try. If however, I had more bare ground than my two flower gardens, I could feed my family and the neighbors quite well.

1 comment:

XO said...

Wow - that is really, really, organized. I thought I was obsessive.... Can't wait to see them growin'!