Monday, May 12, 2008

Lean on Me

The package the peas came in read, "No support needed", so I put them in the ground with no support. Some of them died. The others sort of swam unhappily in their daily watering and turned brown and dry. I have therefore decided that everyone can use a little support whether they ask for it or not and gave them a lovely fence to grow up. It was leftover from fencing my parents' yard, so I took it and cut it and bent it for a trellis. I used this last year also, and the problem I found was that I have to bend down inside to get out some of the peas. So, I welcome your ideas. How do you support your peas? Also on my to-try list: growing cucumbers and zucchinis up a trellis. Has anyone tried this?

2 comments:

Toni Dee! said...

My only idea on the peas is to let the little hands in your family do the picking you can't reach - their fingers can get to so many things that yours cant and they're less likely to hurt themselves doing it too :)

Heather said...

I have done cucumbers like that. Put three sticks/stakes like a TP (whatever that is) then some string around a couple different points. They grow right up to the top and then all the cucumbers just hang there. So much better than finding a huge cucumber you missed in the mess. With the peas, Randy's grandma puts some metal stakes and ties one flat side of fencing material like yours. She didn't say how hard it was to pick them. Sorry, not much help on that.